Black Lives Matter
To our FIT4MOM community and mamahood sisterhood,
The senseless deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and many others - are shaking our nation to the core and awakening us all to do better.
Now more than ever, we must speak up for everyone who has been treated unjustly and communicate where we stand as a company. FIT4MOM has zero-tolerance for racism, discrimination, harassment, or intimidation. We stand in solidarity with the black community. We stand united with all mothers, everywhere. We strongly believe Black Lives Matter.
As a company that values love and inclusivity, we are dedicated to providing a safe and welcoming environment. We know that real, meaningful change comes through action, and we are committing to listening, learning, and educating our franchisees, instructors, and communities nationwide on ways we can do better.
Within FIT4MOM we have begun important work with our Diversity Committee leading company-wide dialogues about race, inclusion, and education at every level of the company, from marketing to onboarding to training for staff and franchisees. As step one, we are creating a United in Motherhood shirt to show solidarity and donating 100% of proceeds to blackmamasmatter.org.
In addition, we'd like to share some powerful resources you can use to educate yourselves and talk to your children because we believe that each day presents an opportunity to raise our children to be kind and help shape a better, more inclusive world.
Listen + Learn
- The New York Times podcast 1619 is a great place to start learning about the beginnings of slavery in America.
- White Fragility by Robin Diangel
- So you want to talk about race by Ijeoma Olu
- How to be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- The 13th (Netflix)
- The Conscious Kid: Parenting and Education through a Critical Race Lens. Follow them on Instagram
- HereWeeRead: Helping parents find diverse books, educational products, and raise curious kids.
- Watch CNN and Sesame Street Town Hall on Racism with your family: Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms takes questions along with CNN's Van Jones and Erica Hill about how to combat racism and shares a message with kids about how to make a change.
- Blackmamasmatter.org The Black Mamas Matter Alliance advocates drives research, builds power, and shifts culture for Black maternal health, rights, and justice.
- The NAACP Legal Defense and Education Fund - America's top legal firm fighting racial justice, seeking equality for all Americans.
- The American Civil Liberties Union - The ACLU works to realize the promise of the United States Constitution for all.
Let's unite to show solidarity, speak up, and take action. Your voice matters, your awareness matters, and your courage can make a difference.
Thank you for being a part of our community. We will continue to use our voice to partake in meaningful conversations, stand up for unity in motherhood + humankind, commit to activism, and evolve as a company.
Meredith Torres and Danielle Reidenbach
FIT4MOM Lancaster Co-Owners